Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Ciao, come stai?


It was the third week of the last semester. I was getting frustrating and demotivated on my advanced microeconomics course. One of the fundamental theory says human responses to incentives. When I found out the only incentive to take this course was harshly taken away from me, I went with my instinct to expand my annual project. I swapped my course and decided to go against my reasoning for not pursuing a language (I always think that unless I have someone to converse with, there is no way I would take up a language again, after the horrendous attempt on German few years ago). So I took up the introductory course for Italian.

I made my way to the language school, which was so foreign to me for the past 2.5 years. I found myself being surrounded by so many other different cultures and some of the most eccentric fashionista on campus. People who study languages dressed up well. I could not understand what the students were talking about outside the classroom. I walked timidly to the classroom, with everyone saying 'piacere' to me. Little did I know, this course turned out to be one of the most enjoyable course I had taken during my undergraduate studies. Not only because it was a new found passion, but it had been a long while since I formally learned a language. And I forgot exactly how to learn a language.

Language itself is a beautiful field of study. It is a sophisticated skill to master. I met people who study multiple languages, French, Italian and Chinese at the same time. Someone told me he was studying the ten most spoken languages in the world. It was his dream. I looked at them in awe and I wished I could do that. It is while studying Italian, I realized how weak my foundation for English is. Counting Italian, I speak four and a quarter of languages, thanks to my diverse Malaysian background. With this realization, English will be one of my future annual project, and an ongoing commitment to read and hopefully write. I never thought I would enjoy learning Italian so much, and I never thought I would be so driven to self study right after I finished my final assessment.

I am typing this while installing some Italian proofreading software on my Microsoft Office and wanting to write a paragraph for my peer tutor in Sicily. I found an amazing application for language exchange and for the purpose of my annual project. There is an upcoming idea for the annual project and I will see if I am going with it. The upload status said 100%, and it's time to continue my self study (despite having a huge daunting assignment releasing on Friday).



Grazie mille,
Wen Xin